15 years of helping Indian businesses

Microsoft OneNote Reviews

4.6 (1,626) Write a Review!

About Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote is a fully functional digital note taking application which can be used to organize, share and collaborate on ideas.

Learn more about Microsoft OneNote

Pros:

Like the rest of Microsoft Office, OneNote has a ton of features and integration with existing Microsoft software, making going between programs like excel and word nearly seamless.

Cons:

Once you build that “universe,” it can become very complicated to navigate. Sometimes I forget how I got to the place I originally set up and it can be frustrating.

Microsoft OneNote ratings

Customer Service Software
4.3

8.6/10

Microsoft OneNote has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 1,626 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft OneNote before?

Filter reviews (1,626)

William
William
Owner in US
Construction software, 2–10 Employees

Dare to find a better note task program. Beautiful

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I can't say enough about how great OneNote has made me more efficient and relieved a lot of stress from confusing notes/tasks.

Pros:

I love the notes and tasks making. The ability and way you rearrange and organize notes/tasks is bar none. Saved me so much time and headaches.

Cons:

For some reason Microsoft in general login is a bit clunky and not as smooth as I'd like,

ADRIAN
Barrister Attorney in UK
Law Practice, 51–200 Employees

Outstanding Way of Organising Notes and So Much More

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Amazing piece of software that I have used for over then years. I have multiple note books for work and personal material and I can access this across platforms - Windows and Mac as well as different devices. I could not be without OneNote!

Pros:

Microsoft OneNote provides the ability to handle multiple notebooks and pages with ease. It is great to be able to use the software cross platform and on any device - laptop, iPhone etc. Best of all it’s free with a purchase of Office.

Cons:

No facility to set reminders for tasks.

Jean-Michel
Projects Manager in France
Market Research Software, 11–50 Employees

It gets the job done, with disastrous ergonomics, but fulfills its mission

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: We are a small team that needs to take notes to keep various information over time on a multitude of small projects. And we do not have a significant budget for this, if at all. OneNote was suggested by a colleague, it faced resistance to adoption from many, but in the end, it does these three basic tasks very well: taking notes, keeping them, and allowing them to be quickly retrieved.

Pros:

Its integration with Windows, and its almost free nature make it a tool immediately available to collaborators within our IT fleet. Everyone knows how to use Microsoft Office, so everyone knows how to use OneNote. It archives note-taking very well, allows for document retention without cluttering the entire screen, and has a basic search tool.

Cons:

There are several online tools that are much more attractive in terms of design. However, OneNote still does its job very well: allowing you to take notes, keep them, and find them easily. However, creating dependencies between notes and collaboration is not smooth at all. Other online alternatives do much better. But they require subscribing to plans, while OneNote is integrated into Windows for everyone.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great for meeting minutes and action items

Comments: It is reliable, easy to use and share, and is a favorite collaboration tool among employees.

Pros:

It was easy to use and for employees to collaborate with. It is great to organize meeting notes and to-do tasks/action items. Especially since you can make multiple tabs and subpages.

Cons:

It was a little clunky when trying to move OneNote files from one location to another, especially with OneNote files stored in Microsoft SharePoint. We had issues a view times with issues merging changes when many people were editing at once and ended up with lost pages in the document. Also there is no way to recover just a single page if deleted.

Jon
Admissions and Community Outreach Coordinator in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Microsoft OneNote Review

5.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, it's the only note taking application I use and it also syncs between my devices so even when I'm away from my office I have access to critical information.

Pros:

I take many notes each day. The ease of use to pop open a new page and begin a critical aspect of my job is extremely helpful.

Cons:

I often find the need to go back through and organize my notes.

Rico
Technology Support Specialist in US
Government Administration, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Hits the right NOTE!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: My overall experience with OneNote has been exceptional during my time using it.I can easily and effortlessly send emails, documents, and other media/correspondence to save for reference, projects, and task management later.

Pros:

I love OneNote because it's integrated into Microsoft 365 to use across various apps within that suite.

Cons:

A little tricky to figure out the nuances at first but it becomes second nature once you begin using it frequently.

Esraa
Teacher in Egypt
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed

My opinion from my personal experience.

5.0 last month New

Comments: It's great, I loved the app very much; So use it daily.

Pros:

It is more organized and easier. I write my notes and organize my information with it, and I know that I will get it anytime I need it.

Cons:

I don't find any negatives about it. It's great at organizing my notes. I wish I had used it a long time ago.

Rayhann
Student in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

OneNote Review

4.0 last month New

Pros:

One of the things I like about OneNote is the copy and paste feature. Although it's a bit "flawed", it works great when you need space or you want to organize something. Also, the view page for graph, lined, or none is really useful as well.

Cons:

One of the things I don't like about OneNote is how the program thinks that you're drawing, but you're trying to drag the page. I don't know if this is just my own experience, but sometimes the page will go towards another part of page randomly and it's annoying, but doesn't happen as often.

Aleidy
Aleidy
Risk and Assurance Auditor in Dominican Republic
Machinery, 10,000+ Employees

Great Digital Notebook

5.0 last month New

Comments: It's a great digital notebook overall. It has a robust set of features for note-taking and organization, making it a valuable tool for anyone. Information is easy to organize in various formats, also being able to collaborate with others in real time is a plus

Pros:

It allows you to organize information in various formats, including text, images, audio and drawings, making it versatile for different types of content. Also, OneNote facilitates teamwork by allowing multiple users to view and edit notes simultaneously, fostering collaboration in real-time

Cons:

the extensive features and customization options may require some time to learn, especially for new users who are unfamiliar with its interface

Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Taking notes with Microsoft OneNote

Comments: I've been using Microsoft OneNote to take notes when using Microsoft Teams for online meetings, it has very good features and

Pros:

Microsoft OneNote is a simple and fast software to take notes, it automatically saves, integrates well with other Microsoft products, easily organize and categorize your notes.

Cons:

Microsoft products (including OneNote) are unfortunately not supported on Linux, I have to use the online website for OneNote to take notes.

Sven
Tech Integrationist in Germany
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

An incredibly powerful one-stop-shop

Comments: Beyond these cons, OneNote is super-easy to use, powerful, and functional across all major platforms. Unfortunately, not all platforms offer the same features: Wiki-style links (creating links using [[ ]]) is not supported in the browser version nor on iPadOS.

Pros:

You can embed content from so many sites: Youtube, Thinglink, Coogle to name a few. Each notebook can contain as many section groups and sections as you want, with as many pages and sub-pages as you want. And each page is an infinite canvas. Bonus: You can store actual files on any pages that you can then later open in the appropiate app using a double click. The desktop version features OCR which is great for searching content in pictures.

Cons:

The way the infinite canvas works. You cannot scroll left or up from the top of the page - only right and down. That feels somewhat counterintuitive at times. Also, there should be easy sharing on the page level - as of the writing of this review, you can only share entire notebooks, meaning you give access to it all, even if all you wanted to do was to collaborate on a single page.

Ivan
Manager in Hong Kong
International Trade & Development, Self Employed

Experience in using OneNote for over 3 years daily

Pros:

OneNote is an easy to use app for notes taking and sharing. One of the advantages is that it is integrated with Outlook that you can create tasks on OneNote, and it will be created the same task in Outlook automatically. Another advantage is that you don't have to save the information you input into OneNote manually, the app will save all the changes you made and sync them with the folder in your harddiske or OneDrive. With this function, you don't need to concern of any unsaved information .

Cons:

When the notebook you created in OneNote gets bigger in size, it happens all the time that the app will not be responding, and it seems like that there is no solution for it. I really hope that MIcrosoft will fix this problem soon. It's been always a nightmare when the app isn't responding while i'm heavily relied on this app for recording all my tasks and activities with customers.

Chou
Independent Contractor in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, Self Employed

Easy to use Microsoft OneNote

Comments: When I transfer my note-taking data to Microsoft Word or Outlook, either it's a miss or a hit. Sometimes it is the services area where the bad connection may work adequately. This will cause frustration, but overall, I still use it every day because it became my friend most time when I need to jot down and don't have paper and pen ready. This app will always be ready when I need to use.

Pros:

OneNote beats Evernote in numerous ways, on account of its wide exhibit of highlights, including optical person acknowledgment (OCR), sound and video accounts, ink-to-message transformation, and directing. The best part is that OneNote's administrations are sans altogether. To utilize it, all you really want is a Microsoft account. On the off chance that you are now utilizing Office 365, Outlook, or other Microsoft applications, essentially sign in with your certifications.

Cons:

One of the most disappointing parts of this program was the deficiency of data. Yearly program updates would lose information from the earlier variant to the refreshed adaptation. Having difficulties integrating with Outlook when need to transfer data.

Richard
Freelance in US
Banking, Self Employed

Microsoft OneNote - Handy note-taking tool for personal and professional use

Comments: Overall, I love Microsoft OneNote to keep track of important things to note throughout the day, everyday--whether personal or professional. It is also a good way to keep study notes for topics that are interesting where you don't necessarily to access the information from a website.

Pros:

I like that I can copy and paste from websites and it can keep the same format as the website. Sometimes it doesn't copy it the same and it doesn't look that great. It is around 95% accurate in my experience in keeping the same format.

Cons:

Even with many sections, I have too many pages. The search feature does help and alphabetizing the page names does help. It seems alphabetizing works on the desktop but not mobile.

E-Learning, 1,001–5,000 Employees

OneNote for Tutors

Comments: Overall, I would like to recommend everyone to use this app to prepare your notes. It's very handy and versatile.

Pros:

There are may features of Onenote which makes it useful like: 1. Clippers, which allow to move data from any browser to OneNote. 2. Can be used in multiple devices simulatneosly. 3. Allows to add Multimedia. 4. Doesn't have formatting contraint. 5. Document Management , division on basis of subject, Notebook, Pages. 6. Flexible formatting option. 7. Works very well in laptop, pc, android tab and mobile. 8. Can use Digital Pen.

Cons:

The Synchronisation with cloud features lags a lot. Many times doesn't works properly. Have to click sync many times and have to wait if internet is slow.

Richard
Remote Assistant in US
Machinery, 2–10 Employees

My favorite software of all time

Comments: In spite of the storage restrictions, OneNote is still my absolute favorite tool for document management, note-taking, and data storage. While other programs like Evernote or Google Keep provide similar services, OneNote definitely stands above the competition in almost every way imaginable.

Pros:

I love everything about Microsoft OneNote, but I especially use it for the purpose of document management. Any information I find across the internet or elsewhere always ends up within OneNote. There's not a piece a of information I can't somehow incorporate into OneNote.

Cons:

My main issue with OneNote is the fact that it's storage is dependent upon OneDrive's storage space. This leads to OneNote being maxed out if my OneDrive is completely full, or if you only have a free version of OneDrive which only allows 5GB of storage.

Quynh
Senior Marketing Specialist in Australia
E-Learning, 11–50 Employees

An effective online diary with good filing features.

Comments: It's been a good experience to use team wide and ensure notes and documents are stored somewhere that everyone can access.

Pros:

I like the fact that it syncs across different devices so that your notes are with you wherever you go. It has a good note management system too with the subpages so it makes organising your notes according to categories etc. very well.

Cons:

It could have a better UI in complete honesty. A few competitors in the marketplace have a nicer UI which makes it more appealing to use.

Stella Maris
Stella Maris
ESL in Argentina
Education Management, Self Employed

OneNote, a multipurpose 21st Century Tool for Lifelong Learners

Comments: I plan my classes and curate content. OneNote has helped me shape the way I organize and manage my classes and curate content as a participant, presenter and author. I can search content in all my notebooks in a very short time, create portfolios of learning progress over years, move, copy, archive and delete sections or pages. Digital ink, lasso conversion, linked notes, degrees of privacy, audio and video recordings, printouts, symbols, emoji, stickers, equations, drawing, dictionary tools with Thesaurus, immersive reader with speed and voice control, identification of main parts of speech, reading line focus, visual vocabulary input and image to text conversion are some of the most valuable features allowing the promotion , development and assessment of main 21st Century hard and soft skills in PBL ( Project Based Learning) , Remote Learning and Home Office Work. The Send to OneNote feature in different formats makes it unique since users can annotate their bookmarks and enhance them with extra content . App smashing through OneNote it effective since it allows multiple integrations with LMS, platforms like Buncee ,Wakelet, Office apps, Flipgrid, Genially, Whiteboard.chat, Kahoot, Quizlet, Sketchfab, PhET interactive simulations, Adobe Spark, EdPuzzle, Playposit, etc.

Pros:

I like everything. It helps me organize content, plan, deliver & assess learning paths, keep records of multimedia resources supporting learning beyond school walls through assistive technology, data management with support and feedback to allow student voice, choice and agency as well as autonomous learning.

Cons:

I only dislike the fact that I did not use it as a student. I wish I had had such a powerful learning app at school. It is permanently adding new features to make learning accessible, memorable and enjoyable not only for students but for PD , content curation and regular use at home.

Naja
Student in US
Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Microsoft OneNote, optimal Note taking and organization app

Comments: Overall my experience with Microsoft OneNote is a good one. I do enjoy using this system and application as a primary notetaking resource. For the cost, I do believe that it can be Utilized very broadly and that makes it worth it, however For students or organizations that do not supply this app it may be A cost that students cannot afford otherwise. In addition I would recommend to utilize a service that allows Alumni to also benefit from some student benefit for a period of time after they no longer have access to their university email because of the fact that a lot of the times students that are recent alumni are still using Microsoft and need a little bit of a longer window before being asked to pay for their own subscription .

Pros:

In general Microsoft OneNote is my go to and favorite notetaking app as a professional student. I find that the ability to hyper organize by topic and category allows me to keep my notes organized. In addition the ability to utilize both type to text features on top of the ability to use Apple Pencil allows me to truly customize my notes as I see fit.

Cons:

The things that I liked Lisa about the software are that once the Notes sizes get to be quite large downloading these notes from the cloud does seem to take an extremely long time. And when they are downloading from the cloud you do not have access to work on those notes. Or changes that you make might not be synchronized when you reopen the app either from another device or once they do download from the cloud. In addition in order to utilize the software you do need to have a Microsoft software subscription to use on safe for example an iPad with the Microsoft OneNote app. For a student who may not be able to afford it it is a pretty big lump sum. However I will say that because of the fact that a lot of universities and corporations supply Microsoft for their students and employees it allows students to continue to utilize it.

Kristin
Quality in US
Insurance Software, 10,000+ Employees

Great for Notes and Tracking!

Comments: Overall this is an amazing tool for note tracking and can even be used for project management. Its does take a little bit of getting use to if you are coming from something more simplistic like Sticky Notes. I have began using this to track project notes, and even notes for calls. You have ability to share among teams, copy and paste pages from one "book" to another. One nice feature is that you can sort of "bend" the system to be used for what you would like it be used for- meaning that you may use it to track one way, but you co worker may use it in another manner. Perfect example I am more of a Book and multi pages with no table, but instead bullet points! My manager loves tables to be inserted and linked out to other items! Both work perfectly and are easily sharable and understandable no matter how you choose to manage your own One Note!

Pros:

This software is awesome for tracking projects, notes, and progress! It is customizable and can be used how ever the user would like! I personally like to section my work out in columns with bullet points, where may manager prefers tables. Some coworkers prefer multiple "books" instead of the method that I prefer is one book, such as Training with multiple pages underneath one book! The system is different if you are coming from a more "basic" system like I was, such as sticky notes! This is Highly Recommended for any member of you team that needs to keep track of notes and even project progress!

Cons:

The only thing "negative", which is really not horrible, is I wish there was more customization to the "blocks". When you start typing on a page, you will see a "block" appear and you can customize the tab color, the size of the box, the font, color of font, and size but I wish you could add a "hue" to the back ground of the boxes to make them stand out a little more- almost as if you were adding different colored sticky notes to the pages! I did find a work around and I am able to highlight the typed notes with a "lighter" color highlight- which works just as well, just does not look as uniform as the rest of the program! Still a highly recommended product!

Francesco
Professor in Italy
Higher Education Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Replacement for blackboard

Comments: I use OneNote to lecture, using hand writing to match note taking pace of students. We think that for physics note taking and home reviewing them is an essential step in learning as it stimulates immediate questioning if something is not understood. Projecting the screen affords for large class rooms. Changing colors, moving sketches around works well, notes can then be turned into pdf or edited to produce better hand out. I use finite size sheets to distribute notes, during the lecture I use a continuous sheet.
The notebook is on OneDrive and is available in different devices, which is sometimes useful.
Overall this made a change from blackboard and chalk, and when remote lecturing came due to pandemics I did not change lecture habits.
These habits might look old fashioned but for some subjects that require reasoning, sketches, math, numerical computations, comparison with graphs, I feel these are necessary and OneNote gives a good support

Pros:

Handwriting with a Microsoft Surface and its pen is easy, erasing is natural, select and move also. You can color your handwriting afterwards. For lecturing you can enlarge what you wrote, or pick up a detail of a sketch. I use it with small squares, which help writing in an orderly way. Printing can be of a single sheet, a section or more. The vey few times I went into a crash, recovery was fast and essentially no data was lost, all essential in a lecture.

Cons:

Sometimes, quite rarely, the whole sheet moves, it probably depends on how you approach your hand before positioning for writing, this might be something inherent to pen tablets. In older versions the management of the sheet format (finite size vs infinite) was easier.

Miguel
Owner in US
Graphic Design Software, 2–10 Employees

All your notes in one place

Comments: OneNotres has been a part of my arsenal of tools for the enterprise environment. I have used it on a personal level as well. I have used both the loal and cloud version, choosing the cloud due to my ability to access from any device. You can also add a local copy, depending on your subscription level, and sync your online content to your local machine. This helps in keeping your data in 2 places at once.

Pros:

Microsoft OneNotes offer a single place to enter, manage and access all your notes. It provides flexibility in how you organize your content. From simple note taking to more complex graphics and images, OneNotes lets you organize in efficient ways. The use of tags helps you find what you need across multiple notebooks, section and pages. No more having to navigate through complex and cumbersome folder hierarchies. OneNotes is a massive repository tool that takes the place of many other tools. Using OneNotes rids you of separate Tasks or To Do lists, file repositories, and even digital media. OneNotes lets you combine all your electronic files into a single place and manage it in a way that works for you. This level of flexibility is what gives OneNotes the power it has and its popularity.

Cons:

OneNotes tend to have a different layout between the online version and the downloaded version. This might bring some confusion to some users. Microsoft is moving more towards the cloud, and until this becomes the norm and their downloadable applications can mimic the cloud experience, there might be a bit of a learning curve.

Jeremy
Writer in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Message to Self: Use Microsoft OneNote for Messages to Self

Comments: Whether I’m at home, or somewhere out in the wilds, Microsoft OneNote allows me to record all the things I need to remember, by text, speech, or photo. Because my memory is awful, I appreciate any tool that mitigates the pain of having lost my thoughts, and my mind, in the process. Having convenient folders in which to sort and store my thoughts, while creepy, is also pretty handy. But the best part is having a cloud connection between my phone and desktop. If I need to snap a picture of a research item and label it while I’m out for a walk, I can be sure I can retrieve it on my desktop when I get home. This requires having the downloadable app on my phone, of course, but when it’s free, it’s worth it. Because I already have it installed on my desktop (through my Microsoft Office 2013 suite), I don’t have to pay to use either. Not having to pay extra for an item I already own is always a good thing.

Pros:

Folders can be labeled, so there’s no risk in confusing items. All notes are also labeled, so it’s easy to identify which note is which (as long as you give it a label you can identify). This makes categorizing notes simple and efficient. Files can also store text, photos, and audio recordings, so you don’t have to think on your feet when trying to record a note. Just use whichever input is most relevant to your situation. Cloud transfers from mobile to desktop are pretty smooth.

Cons:

Compared to other notetaking software, it’s pretty basic. Sometimes notes are dumped into a global pile where you have to manually sort them. This isn’t a big deal, but it can add to your organizing time. (It’s also possible I’m using it wrong, but that in of itself is a con if auto-sorting isn’t intuitive.) Retrieving pictures for posting or editing is also more trouble than it’s worth. For the average user, the simplicity OneNote offers is fine. For dedicated researchers, a more robust platform like Evernote may be better suited.

Tim
Help Desk Technician II in US
Banking, 201–500 Employees

OneNote Review

Comments: It has been a godsend as I need a way to preserve and organize hundreds of documents that were previously maintained by a coworker who was retiring. I stepped in as the new knowledge keeper of the department but needed a better way to make sense of years' worth of information. OneNote allowed me to hyper organize all of the documentation while taking things to an even more detailed approach.

Pros:

This is an amazing way to maintain a knowledge base for my department in one convenient location instead of trying to keep track of countless documents.

Cons:

There are several ways to own a notebook (cloud, local storage, etc.) so it can be confusing to end users when trying to identify where they notebook "lives".

Medical Practice, 501–1,000 Employees

One Note Review

Comments: I’ve been using one note throughout my medical school journey. It has been a necessity with my note taking and studying regime. Can’t imagine my university life without it.

Pros:

OneNote is easy to use and allows for easy documentation and filing for various notes. It’s appeal is that it actually closely resembles a digital notebook. This software allows for notes to be divided into sections which allow for the ease in note retrieval. I enjoy the ability to share and receive notes from other users as this enhances collaboration. This app is fantastic for organization as it allows for the creating of tables , the addition of pictures and embedding of videos.

Cons:

My only qualm with OneNote is that when sharing, the files and documents are very choppy with some sync issues.