Square Payroll Reviews

4.7 (590) Write a Review!

About Square Payroll

Full service payroll, built by Square. Pay your team in a few clicks. Manage your business in one place. We'll handle your tax filings.

Learn more about Square Payroll

Pros:

It is so easy to use, everything is online, it is inexpensive.

Cons:

For me as a new business owner it kept kicking back my federal tax ID number as the wrong one. I didn't know what that was about and entered it nearly 30 times.

Square Payroll ratings

4.7
4.4
4.5
4.6

9.0/10

Square Payroll has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 590 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Square Payroll before?

Troy
Troy
Marketing Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 501-1,000 Employees

Square Payroll makes Payroll easy

Pros:

The Direct Deposit feature of Square Payroll makes paying employees a very streamlined and simple procedure. The W-2 Preparation features makes tax season a breeze. Sending employees W2s is all within the app. Vacation/Leave Tracking has truly increased the productivity of payroll and bookkeeping. This is the ultimate feature for this application.

Cons:

I feel as though with time Square Payroll will rollout a more aesthetically pleasing interface but I do not find any cons.

Shawn
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees

Square Payroll is Great

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: It's accurate, easy and makes Payroll fast.

Pros:

Square Payroll is fast and easy to use and it works.

Cons:

It takes 4 days after processing payroll to get employees paid. However, you can apply to have that shortened to 2 days.

Laura
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Great in some ways, very expensive in others

Comments: I loved this software, ease of use, money paid UNTIL I had a change in employee status and found out, after 3 months and 3 different customer service agents, that you cannot go from using payroll, to not using it without completely closing the account. And if you close the account, you won't get the tax forms.

Pros:

The ease of paying employees when I want to and knowing all the tax forms are done for me is great!

Cons:

Lack of flexibility. You cannot open/close your payroll account more than once. If you have part of the year you don't run payroll or have employees for, you must keep the account open the entire year, until January of the next year if you want your tax forms. If you then bring employees back, after closing the account, you cannot reactivate it. The second thing I have issue with is lack of customer service. They respond in 3-5 days, with a stock response, and it took me 3 agents before this was explained to me. I have no employees for 6 months, but I have to pay the $45/month if I want my tax forms at years end.

Barbara
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Our 100% Go-To payroll software!

Comments: We have tried other payroll programs and always come back to Square!

Pros:

So quick and easy to use. Set up is quick and easy! Reports are perfect! Payrolls are always timely and accurate. Agency reporting at state, local and federal level have always been accurate and timely

Cons:

WE NEED AN ACCOUNTANT LOGIN FEATURE!!!!!!! Need a way to customize the weekly summary to load into the client bookkeeping! One sheet that explains the Federal and local withholdings for bookkeeping purposes. For example (a breakdown of EMPLOYER FICA and Employee Fica, Federal unemployment, State unemployment and state withholding need to be printed on the summary sheet)

Elisa
President in US
Veterinary, 2-10 Employees

I love Square!

Comments: Customer service has been great when I have needed it. They create and send out W-2’s and 1099 if you pay contractors. They do all New Lenox hire reporting and taxes.

Pros:

Easy to use. We use them for payment processing as well. I can do payroll in about 5-10 minutes. On boarding is easy as employees securely submit their own information.

Cons:

For direct deposit you can only have your pay deposited into one bank account. There is no option for splitting.

Oluwatobiloba
Manager in Nigeria
Arts & Crafts, 51-200 Employees

Square payroll solutions

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: My experience with square payroll so far is very good in terms of payment and management

Pros:

I sincerely like the comprehensive payroll system and it's solution that can help business grow both online and offline. It enables fast payment.

Cons:

I have not found anything i like the least

Jennifer
CEO in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Absolutely worth it

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Efficient, intuitive and great customer service

Cons:

Nothing - it’s a great product and I highly recommend it.

Laura Lee
President in US

Simple Yet Efficient

5.0 last month New

Comments: I am glad that I do not have to hire an accountant to do what Square has included in its services.

Pros:

Easy to use, reporting is exactly what I need. The reminders have saved me so many times.

Cons:

I have not figured out how to use the employees app to submitting time card to Square. I have had to enter it at the Square Payroll rather than relaying it through the possible phone app. I need training. Is their a phone customer service available?

Hadley
Influencer in US
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Influencer review for square

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Super easy to use and most of all I trust the software

Cons:

There’s nothing I dislike fortunately!!!

Camila
Managing Partner in US
Construction, Self Employed

Great solution

5.0 last month New

Comments: I love it, it helps me stay organized

Pros:

I really like Square Payroll for the ability it gives me to manage my payroll in an organized manner. It also integrated really well with my Quickbooks online

Cons:

I like everything about this software and will keep using it until Quickbooks come up with a better solution for their payroll.

Chandra
Chandra
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees

Payroll Basics Covered

Comments: Other than the additional Square account, I am/was super happy with the software. Perfect for startups and small businesses. I highly recommend!

Pros:

I loved that this was plug and play ready, user friendly and made payroll less of a headache. Tracking hours, schedules and pay was extremely easy and they handled all the government paperwork after set up. Reminders were super helpful and I never missed payroll deadlines.

Cons:

I didn't like that I couldn't activate previously canceled plans. Since the pandemic caused me to temporarily shutdown I had to cancel the service to save the monthly fee. I was super disappointed that I had to create a NEW Square account just to get access to the plan again. In doing so, I had two locations, two Square accounts and double the headache of managing. Honestly this was one the biggest reasons I decided to switch to Zenoti to streamline everything into one account and make management easier.

Richard
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

Square Payroll

Comments: I run my payroll on a bi-weekly basis. The use of this software means that I do not have to worry about filing the various and sundry state and local tax statements quarterly and annually. This is done automatically. I also do not have to figure out the various taxes to be withheld. The software does it. Although I have a small business, I can run payroll in less that five minutes. It doesn't matter if I am in my high season, or my low season, it takes the same amount of time because of the integration.

Pros:

I own a small gelato shop. I use Square as my POS, my time card system and for my payroll. The integration of the products is seamless. The time card system allows the employee to clock in and out and that time flows right into the payroll. The time card system also allows me to add a lunch break or correct a timecard if someone forgot to clock in or out. The flow from timecards to payroll is a click of the button. The payroll system also allows for individual benefits, both pre- and post-tax and both hourly or salaried employees. The taxes are paid by Square and are calculated and paid on-time, removing a big headache for me. The tax reports are easily accessible and can be downloaded for those time when they are needed, like for PPP or other loans.

Cons:

The only time that I have had to call support was to find out how to put in a post-tax benefit. That was not intuitive in the software, but very easily done once you knew which button to click.

Operations Director in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Best Bang for Your Buck, No Headaches

Comments: I completely set up the system, enrolled all my employees, and processed my first payroll in half the time it normally took me to run a pay period using my old system.

Pros:

Hands-down is the high compliance standards for very low cost. Close runner-up reasons are ease of use, both from the employer side as well as the employee side. This software is really great, offers a lot of protection, and cuts my payroll processing manhours from tens of hours every week to roughly 45 mins of double-checking things before hitting "PROCESS". Seamless direct depositing, set-up and managed by the employees themselves (though I can go in and make changes if they need help - only had that happen once so far, but still important). Very very VERY intuitive if you have spent even a little time in any other payroll software (yes, including manual spreadsheets).

Cons:

I haven't had a chance yet to test the multi-state or international aspects (assuming international even exists).

Donette
Owner in US

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

Pros:

The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

Cons:

The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease. Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced. For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

Jean
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

Pretty good, but not quite perfect for me

Comments: I love that my employees timecards are much more accurate than my previous method of writing it on paper and figuring it out. It has helped me deal with the red tape my state imposes on me, so that's a real plus. I ultimately chose to remain with my current provider because of the lack of blank check printing capabilities. I would like a way for my employees to track their sick time taken on their apps.

Pros:

I use Square for retail and appointments, so I wanted to try the payroll function. The set up was easy to do, and my employees downloaded the timecards app and didn't seem to have any problems setting it up on their end.

Cons:

It says that there is a check printing function, so the first time I went to run payroll, I discovered that I needed pre-printed checks. My current provider's software prints out complete checks on check blanks that I buy online. So, I'm using the timecards function, but not the actual payroll portion. On the timecards, I still have to calculate sick pay manually. I would like my employees to be able to sign in to sick time on their own.

Danielle
Owner in US

Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!

Pros:

Square payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!

Cons:

Customer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.

Carissa
Photographer in US
Photography, 2-10 Employees

I Love Square's All-In-One Interface

Comments: Overall I love Square Payroll because it saves me from having to use another service for my payroll needs.

Pros:

I absolutely love that this makes hiring and paying employee's easy for small business owners. The features are up to day with direct deposit functions which keeps me from having to meet up for payouts. I also like the look of the software because its not complicated. Since I already use Square for my POS system it's only natural that I use that to stream my money to my employees.

Cons:

The time card function doesn't have full visibility of the whole calendar but I manage.

Anjie
Veterinary, 2-10 Employees

I have recommended Square Payroll numerous times.

Comments: It's been absolutely superb. It's quick and easy to use, and the customer service has been wonderful, especially for someone so out of their depth. I don't understand all the required parts of running payroll, and I need employees, so I rely on them to handle everything for me, and they do.

Pros:

Like many small businesses, payroll is not something I know how to do. I needed a quick and easy way to handle this and still be in compliance with all the laws. It's a bit daunting, but Square Payroll made it so simple. I don't have to worry about anything because they handle everything with incredible efficiency.

Cons:

I do wish I could have the vacation tracking be done simply by the month, and not by hours worked. My team gets vacation time based on the month they work instead of the hours because we have slow months where they don't work as many hours, but I still want them to have the benefit of that time off.

Dena
Managing Partner in US

Good software at a great price

Pros:

The software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.

Cons:

I do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.

Johnny
Owner in US

Good but it can be better.

Comments: Not having to file some of my own business documents

Pros:

I like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e

Cons:

Staff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort

Sarah
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees

So easy for one location

Pros:

Square Payroll is so simple to use, it takes minutes to complete payroll now. If you have one location I highly recommend it.

Cons:

You cannot pull different location’s payroll from different bank accounts, square only allows one bank account for payroll.

Harold
Notary Public in US
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees

Enjoying All the Benefits of Having a Reliable Payroll System, without the Headache

Pros:

Square payroll makes such a complicated and time consuming task or managing payroll a simple task .

Cons:

Square Payroll actively build and design their software to be better on a quarterly basis. If something was missing, shortly later, they would have integrated it into their software. I have most of the features I need for my employees, i.e. commissions, PTO, Tips, etc.

Cameron
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

Gets rid of the headache

Comments: It was a lifesaver when we first implemented it. I was struggling to do payroll by myself. I'm not a details person and the software took care of all of it for me. It was perfect!

Pros:

The payroll services makes things easy and removes the headache and compliance worries.

Cons:

Haven't found any issues that are troublesome. It's working great for us.

Holly
Business Owner in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees

Square Payroll make it easy for employers!

Comments: Square makes it easy to run payroll and file taxes!

Pros:

The fact that the taxes are filed is a huge relief for an employer, square stays on top of tax rate changes and notifies you if there are any tax rate changes being made for state or federal taxes.

Cons:

I really don't have any cons, it's easy to use and meets my business payroll needs.

Roger
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

We've had some issues with duplicate employees which ends up with missed assigned tokens. Fixed now

Comments: We use Square for our POS, Marketing, Loyalty, Gift Cards, Capital so adding Payroll was a no brainer if it had the features and functionally we needed. And so far it has.

Pros:

We came over for years of using Quicken Online Payroll. Square is a little more expensive, but handles more with is less work for us. Also the integration with Homebase is a plus. Now that we can actually talk to someone in Square Payroll Support is a BIG plus. We had a ongoing issue for a while and Lauren came to the rescue! We started using in Jan '17 to try for a year, and are going to stay. Square has been good about implementing new features. Speaking of features, it would be nice to run a payroll for the iPhone dashboard app. We where able to do this with Quicken. Not a deal breaker but definitely a plus.

Cons:

The only real issue is adding a New employee. One would think you would start by adding the new employee from within payroll (which I did for some time) When I signed up I didn't remember seeing any instructions on such. After much trial and error, and many support calls I think we have the correct steps down.